Ep.1 Welcome to the Empowered Investor
Welcome to the first episode of The Empowered Investor. Today we’re introducing ourselves to you and sharing the foundational principles of the Empowered Investor. Join us on this inspiring journey, hosted by Keith Matthews and Marcelo Taboada.
Keith Matthews is the author of The Empowered Investor: A Guide to Building Better Portfolios, and a Partner and licensed Portfolio Manager at Tulett, Matthews & Associates (TMA). Keith left the institutional investment management industry in 1997 to work directly with private investors because he wanted to make a difference. He felt that he could have a positive impact on helping individuals create a successful investment experience.
Marcelo Taboada is an Associate at TMA and after finishing his studies, he decided that he wanted to work in a field that allowed him to help people and cultivate his intellectual curiosity. Marcelo decided to make the move to Private Wealth Management to grow professionally in an environment where the client is priority number one.
On this episode, Keith and Marcelo share their stories on how they joined the private client world and talk about the Empowered Investor narrative, why they believe financial security is the thread that links all investors, what you’ll learn from listening to the show, and more!
- Marcelo’s role at TMA (1:26)
- How Marcelo went from childhood in El Salvador to becoming a financial advisor in Canada (3:37)
- Why Marcelo almost left finance to start a new career path (6:03)
- The benefits of an independent firm (6:55)
- Keith’s role at TMA (7:42)
- Why Keith’s inclination towards helping people led him away from bond trading (8:32)
- The aha moment that kick-started Keith’s private client career (10:16)
- Why Keith wrote The Empowered Investor (13:18)
- The common goal all investors are aiming for (14:13)
- The biggest challenge investors face (16:04)
- How our core belief will inform the direction of this show going forward (18:45)
- What you’ll learn by joining us for this podcast (19:23)
- And much more!
Thanks for Listening!