2021 Year in Review
About This Episode
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith review how asset classes performed in 2021. Last year was a unique year in global stock markets. If you look at a chart of stock market performance for 2021, it looks pretty steady. But when you dig a little deeper you’ll see that there was style and leadership turbulence underneath.
Coming out of the end of 2020 – a period when you almost couldn’t lose in the market – 2021 was a year that separated the investors who stuck to their well-planned portfolio strategy from those who bought into the narratives and stock stories that came up earlier in the pandemic.
We will review investment strategies and principles for investors to apply with their portfolios as we head into 2022.
Thank you for listening!
- Introducing today’s episode (1:44)
- How the various asset classes performed in 2021 (2:19)
- Companies whose returns flopped during 2021 (4:00)
- Industries that struggled during 2021 (7:14)
- The power of a story (8:58)
- What’s behind the rise in inflation (10:45)
- The skyrocketing housing market (12:43)
- IPO performance in 2021 (17:00)
- Cathie Wood and the ARK strategies (19:58)
- The important difference between time-weighted and money-weighted returns (21:36)
- The big themes of 2021 (27:36)
- Our key takeaways for investors (28:22)
- And much more!
What’s the best investment strategy for an investor during times of high inflation? Should you adjust your portfolio in light of current volatility?
In this episode, Steve and Keith talk about what it means to have a supply issue in the housing market, the effect of current policies around housing, why the supply side needs to be addressed, policy changes that are needed to create more affordable housing options, and so much more!
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about how to manage money during turbulent times. We explore the research around the performance of tactical asset allocation strategies, why these “opportunity funds” are appealing to many investors, how balanced funds perform compared to tactical allocation, key strategies you can use to weather the storm of volatile markets, and so much more!