An Investor’s Guide to Expected Returns
Will I have enough money to retire comfortably?
Will I have enough money to retire comfortably? Am I on track? Should I be saving more? These are the types of questions clients bring to us daily. We turn to financial planning and modelling into the future using expected returns to answer them.
Expected returns estimate the average return that an investment or portfolio should generate over time. Being able to create realistic projections requires starting with appropriately developed expected returns.
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about how investors and advisors should use expected returns, what you need to know about how they’re determined, why they’re essential for retirement projections, the organizations that create expected returns, and so much more!
Financial Planning and Investment Success
- What are expected returns? (3:17)
- The relationship between valuations and expected returns (4:33)
- How financial advisors use the Projection Assumption Guidelines from FP Canada™ and the IQPF (6:35)
- Expected returns for different asset classes according to the 2023 Projection Assumption Guidelines (8:09)
- What the reports from firms like Vanguard say about expected returns (9:52)
- How we use expected returns in financial planning (11:20)
- A side-by-side comparison of current returns and historical returns (14:11)
- Real returns of stocks over the last 120 years (16:37)
- What you can do to improve the odds of a successful planning and investment experience (21:21)
- How management fees have changed over time (23:20)
- Why we’re optimistic about the future (27:10)
- And much more!
Mentioned in this Episode:
Be sure to subscribe on Apple, Google, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. And feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-695-0096 ext.112 Follow Tulett, Matthews & Associates on social media on LinkedIn, Facebook, and more! Follow The Empowered Investor on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
Can you quantify the value of financial advice? Dive into the intricate relationship between financial advice and investment success, featuring the insightful expertise of Emile Bouchard from Vanguard.
How did the key financial events of 2023 shape the investment landscape? What lessons can investors take from these developments as we move into 2024? Join us in this episode as we delve into these questions and more.
Are we learning from history or repeating the same patterns in different contexts? How does understanding human behavior enhance our investment strategies? Can the past unlock secrets for future financial success?
Stay on top of your financial education
Subcribe and follow to get updates on important wealth management topics.