Are rising interest rates a curse or a blessing?
High Inflation and Interest Rates
Our goal in today’s podcast is to add clarity of the impact of rising rates for bond investors.
2022 has been a challenging year for Canadian investors; inflation is higher, interest rates have been going up, bonds are down, and stocks have been volatile. Typically, bonds have sheltered investors in periods of uncertainty. This hasn’t been the case this year.
Bonds play an important role in the investing world. They provide income, stability, and diversification to your portfolio. Bond prices are constantly moving according to current conditions and they typically have an inverse relationship with interest rates – when interest rates go up, bonds prices go down and when interest rates go down, bond prices go up.
When looking at year-to-date bond returns, rising yields and decreasing bond prices may feel like a curse. In today’s episode, Keith & Lawrence discuss why rising yields may in fact be a blessing for bond investors – and/or investor’s bond allocation of diversified portfolios.
Why rising yields are a blessing for most bond investors
- Why this has been a particularly challenging year-to-date period for bond investors (2:15)
- How much are the average bond holdings down? (3:19)
- What is driving the negative returns (4:40)
- Understanding “the gut punch” that bond investors have received from rising yields (7:46)
- The positive after-effects of higher yields (9:20)
- Two scenario analysis:
- Scenario 1: The gut punch followed by higher yields vs
- Scenario 2: The no gut punch with lower yields (10:25)
- What Canadian investors need to keep in mind about bond duration (17:06)
- Higher interest rates and implications for borrowers (20:47)
- Our takeaways on the rising interest rates and the implications to investors (22:19)
Thanks for Listening!
Be sure to subscribe on Apple, Google, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. And feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-695-0096 ext.112 Follow Tulett, Matthews & Associates on social media on LinkedIn, Facebook, and more! Follow The Empowered Investor on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
Debunking 8 common tax myths and misunderstandings (part 1)
Countering bad advice, especially during tax season, is crucial. So we reached out to expert and tax specialist Réginald Pierre-Louis to bust several tax myths and give you the facts to help ensure that you file accurate returns. His expertise can help ensure that you receive money the government owes you and avoid penalties for underreporting.
2022 Tax Tips – With Life Long Expert
Every year more complexity is added to the Canadian tax system, making it difficult for taxpayers to keep up to date. Understanding how to properly file your tax return and take advantage of deductions and credits can put more money back in your pocket.
Investor Beware: How to Protect Your Money from Scams and Fraud
Financial fraud is a serious issue that has unfortunately cost many investors their hard-earned savings. From Ponzi schemes to fake investment opportunities, these scams lure investors in with promises of high returns and low risk.
Stay on top of your financial education
Subcribe and follow to get updates on important wealth management topics.
3535 St-Charles Blvd.