Your CPP/QPP & OAS Benefits
About This Episode
- Welcome Edmond (0:39)
- The unique way Edmond’s practice works (1:29)
- How CPP and QPP work (3:11)
- Why pensioners receive different amounts in CPP/QPP payments (4:38)
- What is OAS? (5:39)
- The history of Canadian pension programs (7:01)
- How to make CPP/QPP contributions (9:53)
- The forced savings aspect of CPP/QPP contributions (11:09)
- Major reforms to CPP and QPP contribution amounts in recent years (12:07)
- Considerations for deciding the age to start receiving your CPP/QPP benefits (16:08)
- How an advisor can help you when it comes to your CPP/QPP pension (18:00)
- The extra protection you gain by deferring your CPP/QPP pension (20:11)
- Qualification criteria for receiving survivor benefits work (22:10)
- Disability benefits under the CPP/QPP and how they impact your pension at retirement (23:54)
- Who is eligible to receive an orphan benefit (25:07)
- The latest CPP/QPP reforms to enhance retirement benefits (26:25)
- Qualification criteria for OAS (30:42)
- Why you might want to defer your OAS pension (31:53)
- What you need to know about income testing under OAS (32:54)
- Our main takeaways about CPP, QPP and OAS (36:10)
- And much more!
Chasing performance is what happens when you see a stock or sector performing well or other investors reaping big rewards so you decide to buy in at the high levels. It’s not at all a new phenomenon as there are always stocks with new and exciting stories inducing the fear of missing out.
Today we’re exploring how the 4% rule came to be and whether it’s still valid for Canadian investors in 2022. Keith is joined by his colleague, Lawrence Greenberg, who is part of our next-generation advisory team. Together, they discuss the intricacies of this financial theory and whether or not it is applicable in all economic environments.
In this episode, Keith, Marcelo, and Andrew talk about why we invest, what success looks like, the four quadrants of success, the importance of connection and relationships, the power of gratitude, saving for experiences, and so much more!