Economic and Stock Market Recovery
About This Episode
With public policy and multiple forced lockdowns in 2020, we knew we’d see a major impact on the economy unlike the recessions and bad economic periods we’ve seen in the past. Today, we’re focusing on recovery.
Recovery has two main parts, economic and the stock market. Where the economic recovery reflects what’s happening on Main Street, the stock market recovery looks to the future. For this episode, we’ve broken down this stock market recovery into three main phases and we’re taking a deeper look at valuations and expected returns for specific types of stocks.
Marcelo and I talk about the stock market and economic performance during 2020, how the 2020 economic contraction compares to historical recessions, economic expectations for the coming years, which investment styles perform best in recession and recovery phases, and so much more!
Thank you for listening!
- The economic impact of lockdowns in Canada and the US (1:45)
- Overall economic performance for 2020 (3:06)
- How does the 2020 recession compare to the Great Financial Crisis? (4:00)
- Projected economic growth for 2021 (5:14)
- Analyzing S&P 500 performance over the course of 2020 (6:27)
- Putting the 2020 economic contraction into a historical context (8:13)
- Why the dot-com crisis was the most painful recession I’ve lived through (9:33)
- 2020’s V-shaped market recovery pattern (11:33)
- The three phases of stock market recovery (12:40)
- Stock market performance during the lockdowns of phase one (13:40)
- How vaccine announcements affected the stock market (14:45)
- 2020 year-end valuations relative to 20-year valuations (15:53)
- Economic expectations for the next two years (17:36)
- Why economic predictions are unreliable (19:18)
- The potential impact of an extended period of high unemployment and inflation (21:09)
- The performance of value stocks in recessions and recoveries (22:39)
- Distinguishing between a bubble and a shock (23:07)
- How different investment styles perform in a recovery phase (24:16)
- Why a sound investment philosophy is critical (26:00)
- And much more!
Mentioned in this Episode:
Thanks for Listening!
Be sure to subscribe on Apple, Google, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. And feel free to drop us a line at email@example.com or 514-695-0096 ext.112
Follow Tulett, Matthews & Associates on social media on LinkedIn, Facebook, and more!
Follow The Empowered Investor on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
2022 Financial Year in Review and Looking Ahead for 2023
Investors who maintained perspective and long-term discipline by committing to a fundamentally sound investment plan were able to weather through the periods of market uncertainty and stay on the path to building wealth.
Are rising interest rates a curse or a blessing?
2022 has been a challenging year for Canadian investors; inflation is higher, interest rates have been going up, bonds are down, and stocks have been volatile. Typically, bonds have sheltered investors in periods of uncertainty. This hasn’t been the case this year.
Managing your Investment Portfolio Through a Recession
We discuss the looming possibility of a recession and how you can successfully manage your investment portfolio through uncertain financial times.
Stay on top of your financial education
Subcribe and follow to get updates on important wealth management topics.
3535 St-Charles Blvd.