The Evolution of Investment Advice in Canada: The Next-Generation Advisor
About This Episode
Inspired by a recent white paper on the next-generation advisor, today we’re exploring the evolution of investment advice in Canada.
For me, the expansion beyond stock picking and into a deeper advisory role goes back over 20 years. The evolution of exchange-traded funds has helped us build wonderful portfolios with passive investment vehicles, giving us the time to deliver a better client experience by offering services clients need from tax and retirement planning to cash flow management and beyond.
The new generation advisor is here to meet investors’ changing demands, and I’m excited for our clients because we are in that space and always moving forward. That’s why we’re so passionate about everything we do.
On this episode, Marcelo and I talk about how the value proposition offered by investment managers is changing, the differences between active and passive investing, why clients need a new type of investment advisor, the rate of adoption of passive investing in Canada versus the US, and so much more!
Thank you for listening!
- The shifting value proposition of investment advisors (1:22)
- Why we were inspired to create this episode (2:20)
- What passive investing means (4:07)
- The commoditization of investment management (5:19
- Investment advisors’ traditional value proposition to clients (7:13)
- The driving factors of compensation for active managers (9:00)
- Advisors’ new value proposition (10:03)
- How next-generation advisors improve the client experience (11:24)
- What research shows us about active versus passive investment performance (12:52)
- Why we’re now at a tipping point with passive investing (14:45)
- How changing demand is driving the advisor evolution (15:36)
- What our client review meetings involve (17:39)
- The growth of passive investing in Canada and the US (19:45)
- How the US Registered Investment Advisor model impacts adoption (21:42)
- Understanding your investment advisor options as a Canadian investor (22:46)
- Our key takeaways about the next-generation advisor (24:44)
- And much more!
Thanks for Listening!
In this episode, Marcelo, Ruben and Keith talk about how the Delta variant has impacted investors so far, what we’ve seen in the bond and stock markets, the pitfalls you need to avoid as an investor, why your investment philosophy is your biggest asset, and so much more!
On this episode, Marcelo, Lawrence and Keith discuss how robo-advisors work, the opportunities that robo-advisors have created for Canadian investors, the advantages and risks of using a robo-advisor, and so much more!
With increasing global connectedness, the world today is smaller than it’s ever been. Countries are coming together to share information in a global trend towards greater transparency and with that, undeclared assets are much more likely to be discovered. So if you’ve found yourself in a situation with undeclared assets, what can you do to get on the right side of things?