Voluntary Disclosures: You can run but you can’t hide
About This Episode
- Why Canadian investors need to know about the voluntary disclosure program (1:00)
- Introducing Stephen Solomon (2:59)
- Why Stephen became a lawyer (5:35)
- Stephen’s unusual journey to a focus on tax law (7:11)
- Stephen’s introduction to offshore banking and voluntary disclosures (9:10)
- How the voluntary disclosure program helps Canadian taxpayers (12:03)
- Common scenarios where voluntary disclosures are used (14:27)
- Canadian tax obligations that apply to your foreign holdings (15:50)
- Two types of voluntary disclosure programs (18:08)
- The psychological side of non-disclosure (20:20)
- Why we’re seeing an increase in voluntary disclosures (21:43)
- The global trend towards greater transparency (23:25)
- Global initiatives to reduce corporate tax avoidance (24:51)
- Case studies of voluntary disclosure versus getting caught (25:31)
- Why the process of determining taxes owed often gets complicated (27:32)
- Advantages of working with an experienced team (28:58)
- What to do if you find yourself with undeclared assets (31:14)
- Inheriting undeclared assets (32:49)
- How the tax planning landscape has changed in recent decades (34:09)
- Why it’s worth your while to research tax planning strategies (35:11)
- Tax considerations when trading cryptocurrency (36:58)
- Why it’s crucial to maintain your own records for cryptocurrency transactions (38:53)
- Our key takeaways for Canadian taxpayers about voluntary disclosures (40:58)
Thanks for Listening!
In this episode, Marcelo, Ruben and Keith talk about how the Delta variant has impacted investors so far, what we’ve seen in the bond and stock markets, the pitfalls you need to avoid as an investor, why your investment philosophy is your biggest asset, and so much more!
On this episode, Marcelo, Lawrence and Keith discuss how robo-advisors work, the opportunities that robo-advisors have created for Canadian investors, the advantages and risks of using a robo-advisor, and so much more!
We discuss key factors that play a role in the increased net worth of Canadians as well as the latest inflation numbers and how they impact your finances.