Voluntary Disclosures: You can run but you can’t hide
About This Episode
- Why Canadian investors need to know about the voluntary disclosure program (1:00)
- Introducing Stephen Solomon (2:59)
- Why Stephen became a lawyer (5:35)
- Stephen’s unusual journey to a focus on tax law (7:11)
- Stephen’s introduction to offshore banking and voluntary disclosures (9:10)
- How the voluntary disclosure program helps Canadian taxpayers (12:03)
- Common scenarios where voluntary disclosures are used (14:27)
- Canadian tax obligations that apply to your foreign holdings (15:50)
- Two types of voluntary disclosure programs (18:08)
- The psychological side of non-disclosure (20:20)
- Why we’re seeing an increase in voluntary disclosures (21:43)
- The global trend towards greater transparency (23:25)
- Global initiatives to reduce corporate tax avoidance (24:51)
- Case studies of voluntary disclosure versus getting caught (25:31)
- Why the process of determining taxes owed often gets complicated (27:32)
- Advantages of working with an experienced team (28:58)
- What to do if you find yourself with undeclared assets (31:14)
- Inheriting undeclared assets (32:49)
- How the tax planning landscape has changed in recent decades (34:09)
- Why it’s worth your while to research tax planning strategies (35:11)
- Tax considerations when trading cryptocurrency (36:58)
- Why it’s crucial to maintain your own records for cryptocurrency transactions (38:53)
- Our key takeaways for Canadian taxpayers about voluntary disclosures (40:58)
Thanks for Listening!
In this episode, Keith, Marcelo, and Andrew talk about why we invest, what success looks like, the four quadrants of success, the importance of connection and relationships, the power of gratitude, saving for experiences, and so much more!
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about why the current inflation rates are a problem, how we got here, the big debate on how long these rates will last, implications for you as an investor, and so much more!
In this episode, Matthew and Keith talk about why third party custodians are crucial partners for PM firms, how discount brokerages can afford to offer no trading fees, the latest trends Matthew has identified from his work with PM firms across the country, succession planning in PM firms, and so much more!