Understanding Robo-Advisors – Pros, Cons & Dilemmas
About This Episode
- Lawrence’s background and journey into wealth management (1:38)
- What is a robo-advisor? (4:00)
- Advantages of using a robo-advisor (6:04)
- Why robo-advisors create more opportunities for Canadian investors (7:19)
- Drawbacks of investing with a robo-advisor (8:34)
- Understanding the limits of robo-advisors (10:20)
- How Lawrence helps our young investors to get started with Wealthsimple (12:13)
- Young investors’ experiences using Wealthsimple (13:12)
- Comparing Wealthsimple and Tangerine (14:55
- The value of empathy in investing (16:05)
- Feedback from young investors about using robo-advisors (17:01)
- How robo-advisors are democratizing access to investing (19:01)
- The three doors of Wealthsimple (21:18)
- Why robo-advisor platforms can end up distracting investors (22:34)
- The slippery slope of the core and explore portfolio strategy (24:11)
- Creating market value at the expense of the end-user (25:36)
- The negative effect of the gamification of investing (26:54)
- Our key takeaways for Canadian investors (28:40)
Thanks for Listening!
In this episode, Matthew and Keith talk about why third party custodians are crucial partners for PM firms, how discount brokerages can afford to offer no trading fees, the latest trends Matthew has identified from his work with PM firms across the country, succession planning in PM firms, and so much more!
In this episode, Marcelo, Ruben and Keith talk about how the Delta variant has impacted investors so far, what we’ve seen in the bond and stock markets, the pitfalls you need to avoid as an investor, why your investment philosophy is your biggest asset, and so much more!
With increasing global connectedness, the world today is smaller than it’s ever been. Countries are coming together to share information in a global trend towards greater transparency and with that, undeclared assets are much more likely to be discovered. So if you’ve found yourself in a situation with undeclared assets, what can you do to get on the right side of things?