An Investor Guide to Inflation
What to Invest in During High Inflation
Rising prices have become an unavoidable fact of life for most Canadians. You hear about inflation in the news, you see it at the grocery store. Inflation can be an investor’s worst enemy. It has the potential to deteriorate the financial structure you’ve worked so hard to build.
That is no doubt leading many investors to wonder: How can I protect myself against inflation? In general, many experts recommend investing smartly to hedge against inflation.
By understanding what drives inflation, you can take steps to hedge against inflation and protect your financial affairs; despite economic uncertainty. Investors can also use an inflation surge period as a good time to review their overall investment performance and allocation to make sure it aligns with their goals.
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about why the current inflation rates are a problem, how we got here, the big debate on how long these rates will last and implications for you as an investor. They also discuss investment options to consider when thinking about what to invest in to beat inflation.
How to beat inflation as an investor
- What you need to know about the current rates of inflation (1:49)
- Economic factors driving inflation (2:38)
- The huge jump in gasoline prices (3:19)
- Understanding the 10-year implied inflation rate (4:39)
- Why we’re seeing inflation on the rise (7:03)
- The destructive impact of inflation on our day-to-day lives (9:07)
- Getting perspective on the current inflation rates (12:05)
- How long we can expect inflation rates to stay high (13:38)
- The investors whose income is protected and those who are most vulnerable (16:14)
- Adjusting your expectations as an financial investor (18:20)
- The benefit of investing in businesses (20:37)
- Day-to-day implications for your budget and savings (22:43)
- Why proper financial planning is more important now than ever (25:29)
- And much more!
2022 has been a challenging year for Canadian investors; inflation is higher, interest rates have been going up, bonds are down, and stocks have been volatile. Typically, bonds have sheltered investors in periods of uncertainty. This hasn’t been the case this year.
Today we discuss critical factors to think about to optimize your RRIF strategy and the significant impact that strategic planning can have on your estate value.
We discuss the looming possibility of a recession and how you can successfully manage your investment portfolio through uncertain financial times.