Investment Pitfall #4: Failing to Diversify Properly
About This Episode
What does it mean to properly diversify an investment portfolio? And why is it so hard for many investors to maintain that proper diversification over long periods?
Diversification has become one of those topics everyone talks about, but many investors still aren’t confident that they have good levels of diversification. That’s a big problem since one of the greatest pitfalls of investing is not diversifying properly.
Having a properly diversified portfolio is the best defense against the unexpected events that inevitably affect the financial markets. With the pieces in your portfolio fitting together well, like a puzzle, you significantly reduce your risk.
On this episode, Keith and Marcelo talk about why diversification is important, what proper diversification looks like, common examples of under- and over-diversification, the consequences of not diversifying properly, and more!
Be sure to join us for our next episode where we’re going to introduce the dos and don’ts of financial planning. Thank you for listening!
- Spotify’s latest milestone (1:35)
- Common investment mistakes (2:41)
- What it means to become an empowered investor (3:11)
- Why diversification is important (4:43)
- How we apply the concept of diversification outside of investing (6:00)
- The evolution of opportunities available to Canadian investors in recent decades (6:58)
- What proper diversification looks like in your investment portfolio (8:26)
- Examples of under-diversified portfolios from the early 2000s (11:27)
- Marcelo’s memorable experience with an under-diversified portfolio (14:16)
- How over-diversification looks in your portfolio (15:48)
- The main problem with over-diversification (16:32)
- Why investors get in trouble with diversification (17:12)
- What is a black swan from an investment perspective? (19:10)
- Why 9/11 is considered a black swan event (20:16)
- Is COVID-19 a black swan event? (21:54)
- The connection between diversification and black swans (22:48)
- The double negative impact of not diversifying properly (23:39)
- A simple way to think about diversification (24:54)
- And much more!
Mentioned in this Episode:
Thanks for Listening!
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about geopolitical risk/shock in investing. When we’re facing major geopolitical events, war, health crises, or a recession, many investors’ immediate reaction is that we’ve never seen something like this before. We hear – this time is different. Unfortunately, that often leads investors to make short-term, reactive decisions that ultimately harm their long-term investment plan.
Marcelo Taboada and co-Host Lawrence Greenberg are joined by Ryan (20) and Matthew (17) for today’s episode. Ryan and Matt share their refreshing perspectives on saving and investing. They talk about the important role social media plays in introducing young people to investing, the key lessons they’ve learned, their best advice for other young people, and so much more!
In this episode, Marcelo, Ruben and Keith talk about how the Delta variant has impacted investors so far, what we’ve seen in the bond and stock markets, the pitfalls you need to avoid as an investor, why your investment philosophy is your biggest asset, and so much more!