How To Manage Your Investment Portfolio During Turbulent Times
Financial Advice for Turbulent Times
“A portfolio is like a bar of soap. The more you handle it, the smaller it gets.” – Darcy Howe
Stock markets around the world are turbulent at the moment as inflation and geopolitical conflicts have many investors on edge.
It’s human nature to want to take action in the face of instability. Turbulent economic markets can often lead to fear and anxiety amongst investors.
So what can you do to secure your financial future? What are the best wealth planning strategies for turbulent markets? Should you change your investment portfolio strategy? Are there new investment opportunities to take advantage of when building an investment portfolio? Is it better to stay the course?
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about how to manage money during turbulent market times. We explore the research around the performance of tactical asset allocation strategies, why these “opportunity funds” are appealing to many investors, how balanced funds perform compared to tactical allocation, key strategies you can use to weather the storm of volatile markets, and so much more!
Thank you for listening!
Is it time to adjust your investment portfolio?
- Introducing today’s topic and the four themes we’ll be covering (0:48)
- Why many investors might be wondering if it’s time to adjust their investment portfolio (1:56)
- What are tactical asset allocation strategies? (3:39)
- Testing our hypothesis about the effectiveness of moving money around (6:54)
- Tactical allocation versus balanced fund returns over the last 20 years (8:04)
- Adjusting for survivorship bias amongst tactical allocation funds (10:16)
- How a diversified investment portfolio structure trumps trading (13:28)
- Why outperforming the stock market consistently is highly unlikely (15:01)
- Stock market timing and the massive impact it has on your portfolio (17:36)
- The long-term value of investment consistency (21:44)
- Diminishing returns from tactical allocation (23:15)
- And much more!
Thanks for Listening!
Be sure to subscribe on Apple, Google, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. And feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-695-0096 ext.112 Follow Tulett, Matthews & Associates on social media on LinkedIn, Facebook, and more! Follow The Empowered Investor on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
2022 has been a challenging year for Canadian investors; inflation is higher, interest rates have been going up, bonds are down, and stocks have been volatile. Typically, bonds have sheltered investors in periods of uncertainty. This hasn’t been the case this year.
We discuss the looming possibility of a recession and how you can successfully manage your investment portfolio through uncertain financial times.
A good evaluation goes beyond a financial advisor’s performance and lets you get a sense of their processes, structure and the people helping you.