Money & Couples – Why You Must Get This Right!
Managing your finances as a couple is hard. It’s such a common source of conflict that one in four divorced Canadian couples say that money problems played a key role in their split.
Money has so many emotional connections that it’s often tricky to discuss. It’s how we acquire and utilize our resources, and it’s how we take care of the people we love. It’s even more complicated when personal money values don’t align with your partner’s.
So what do you do when partners’ approaches to money don’t naturally align? How do you get on the same page to work together towards a shared vision for your future? In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about what they’ve learned from discussing finances with couples of all ages, the main ways money-related conflict shows up in relationships, the four core money value personalities, action plans and strategies for couples in different stages of life, how to approach financial planning as a couple, and so much more.
Thank you for listening!
Financial planning as a couple
- The exciting new library initiative at Tulett, Matthews & Associates (1:12)
- Why we’re talking about money and couples (2:15)
- The three main ways money-related conflict shows up in relationships (4:49)
- How our early experiences shape our attitudes towards money (6:11)
- The four core money value personalities (9:33)
- What happens when different money value personalities come together (12:02)
- How you can increase the odds of long-term success (14:41)
- An action plan for accumulators between 25 – 60 years old (15:52)
- Why we recommend that couples share one financial ecosystem (17:06)
- The main areas of financial conflict we see in retiree couples (21:12)
- Three strategies for new couples (22:43)
- Essential conversations and action items for retiree couples (27:09)
- Our key takeaways on financial planning for couples (30:15)
- And much more!
Thanks for Listening!
Be sure to subscribe on Apple, Google, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. And feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-695-0096 ext.112 Follow Tulett, Matthews & Associates on social media on LinkedIn, Facebook, and more! Follow The Empowered Investor on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith review why the government is putting the FHSA in place, who can benefit from it, how it works, changes that the government might make before finalizing the FHSAand how it differs from the Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP)
In this episode, Steve and Keith talk about what it means to have a supply issue in the housing market, the effect of current policies around housing, why the supply side needs to be addressed, policy changes that are needed to create more affordable housing options, and so much more!
On this episode, Hugh and I talk about the advantages of contributing to a retirement savings plan (RSP), the general rule to keep in mind for tax deductions, the benefits of working with a tax professional, the hefty penalties that stem from incorrect and incomplete filings, how you can be proactive when it comes to your taxes, what to do if you realize you’ve made a mistake, and so much more!