How to Start Saving and Investing with Ryan Jacobs and Matthew McGee
About This Episode
If you have kids between the age of 16 and 30 or are in that age category yourself, and are wondering how to start saving and investing, this episode is for you.
Marcelo Taboada and co-Host Lawrence Greenberg are joined by Ryan (20) and Matthew (17) for today’s episode. Ryan and Matt share their refreshing perspectives on saving and investing. They talk about the important role social media plays in introducing young people to investing, the key lessons they’ve learned, their best advice for other young people, and so much more!
Thank you for listening!
- Introducing Ryan and Matthew (4:37)
- How TikTok helped Matthew realize he should start investing (6:14)
- Why Ryan chose Boeing for his first investment (7:00)
- Ryan’s current portfolio strategy (8:55)
- Matthew’s portfolio composition (10:18)
- Managing the unknown aspect of cryptocurrencies (11:18)
- Using research to combat FOMO (14:09)
- Ryan and Matthew’s approach to learning about investing (16:08)
- How learning about crypto helps Matthew’s stock portfolio (18:08)
- Balancing saving and personal spending (20:31)
- Common pitfalls that prevent young people from saving and investing (22:46)
- Developing behaviours that will benefit your finances for life (24:57)
- Missteps in investing (26:08)
- Ryan and Matthew’s best advice for young people and saving (27:57)
- What young people need to know about investing (29:13)
- And much more!
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about geopolitical risk/shock in investing. When we’re facing major geopolitical events, war, health crises, or a recession, many investors’ immediate reaction is that we’ve never seen something like this before. We hear – this time is different. Unfortunately, that often leads investors to make short-term, reactive decisions that ultimately harm their long-term investment plan.
In this episode, Marcelo, Ruben and Keith talk about how the Delta variant has impacted investors so far, what we’ve seen in the bond and stock markets, the pitfalls you need to avoid as an investor, why your investment philosophy is your biggest asset, and so much more!
On this episode, Marcelo, Lawrence and Keith discuss how robo-advisors work, the opportunities that robo-advisors have created for Canadian investors, the advantages and risks of using a robo-advisor, and so much more!