Inflation, Market Volatility and Your Portfolio
2022 Mid-Year Portfolio Review
The theme for the first half of 2022: inflation.
It’s been an interesting year so far. The country has opened up, and many pandemic restrictions were lifted or eased. At the same time, we feel the lasting effects on the economy and our investments.
Nine months ago, most central banks were assuring the public that inflation is transitory, supply will pick up shortly, and equilibrium is on the horizon. That has not been the case.
What does this recent stock and bond turbulence mean for you as an investor? Should you adjust your portfolio in light of current volatility? What’s the best investment strategy for an investor during times of high inflation?
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about portfolios, where things are, and our recommendations for investors in terms of how to move forward. We’re looking at how different asset classes have performed, why we’re having both bond and stock returns being negative, the main drivers of inflation, what we can learn from history, our takeaways for Canadian investors, and so much more!
What is the best investment strategy for an investor during times of high inflation?
- What it means to be in a bear market (2:10)
- Year-to-date asset class returns (2:51)
- The unique situation of having negative bond and stock returns (3:27)
- Shifting perspectives on inflation (5:04)
- The four main drivers of inflation levels (7:56)
- Continued struggles in the industries hit hardest by the pandemic (9:08)
- How inflation affects bonds (10:46)
- Why stocks are so volatile right now (11:41)
- The wide-reaching impact of rising interest rates (13:56)
- Key takeaways from inflation trends over the past 70 years (15:18)
- How our investment philosophy is helping to protect client portfolios (16:42)
- The importance of staying the course during volatile periods (19:30)
- Why this is the perfect time to add money to your portfolio (21:51)
- Maintain perspective (23:25)
- And much more!
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about geopolitical risk/shock in investing. When we’re facing major geopolitical events, war, health crises, or a recession, many investors’ immediate reaction is that we’ve never seen something like this before. We hear – this time is different. Unfortunately, that often leads investors to make short-term, reactive decisions that ultimately harm their long-term investment plan.
In this episode, Keith, Marcelo, and Andrew talk about why we invest, what success looks like, the four quadrants of success, the importance of connection and relationships, the power of gratitude, saving for experiences, and so much more!
In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about why the current inflation rates are a problem, how we got here, the big debate on how long these rates will last, implications for you as an investor, and so much more!