Young Investors: Tips to Start Investing Early
Young Investors and the Power of Compound Interest
One of the things a lot of us regret is not getting serious about our finances at a younger age. By developing great financial savings and investment habits early, young investors can significantly increase their odds of long-term financial stability and success. Investing when you’re young gives you an opportunity to grow even more wealth thanks to compound interest and tax-advantaged investments while also gaining financial literacy skills from a young age.
“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it … he who doesn’t … pays it.”
~ Albert Einstein
When you’re still in the accumulation phase of your financial life, you’re trying to grow your portfolio and you have time to take on more risk because you won’t be accessing your money for many years. In short, time is on your side.
Time in the market is more important than timing the market.
~ Michael Kohler, CFP
Entering the world of investing can be intimidating. If you have kids between the age of 16 and 30 or are in that age category yourself, and are wondering how to start saving and investing, this episode is for you.
Marcelo Taboada and co-Host Lawrence Greenberg are joined by Ryan (20) and Matthew (17) for today’s episode. Ryan and Matt share their refreshing perspectives on saving and investing. They talk about the important role social media plays in introducing young people to investing, the key lessons they’ve learned, their best advice for other young investors, and so much more!
Thank you for listening!
Start investing early and consistently
- How TikTok helped Matthew realize he should start investing (6:14)
- Why Ryan chose Boeing for his first investment (7:00)
- Ryan’s current investment portfolio strategy (8:55)
- Matthew’s investment portfolio composition (10:18)
- Managing the unknown aspect of cryptocurrencies (11:18)
- Using research to combat FOMO (14:09)
- Ryan and Matthew’s approach to learning about investing (16:08)
- How learning about crypto helps Matthew’s stock portfolio (18:08)
- Balancing saving and personal spending (20:31)
- Common pitfalls that prevent young people from saving and investing (22:46)
- Developing behaviours that will benefit your finances for life (24:57)
- Investment mistakes to avoid, and best practices to follow (26:08)
- Ryan and Matthew’s best advice for young people and saving (27:57)
- What young people need to know about financial investing (29:13)
- And much more!
Do emotions play a pivotal role in shaping our financial choices, and influencing our long-term outcomes? We deep dive into this book to learn more!
Recession concerns haven’t materialized as many had predicted and portfolios are positive so far with most asset classes having positive year-to-date returns.
Will I have enough money to retire comfortably? Am I on track? Should I be saving more? These are the types of questions clients bring to us daily. We turn to financial planning and modelling into the future using expected returns to answer them.
Stay on top of your financial education
Subcribe and follow to get updates on important wealth management topics.