2022 Financial Year in Review and Looking Ahead for 2023
Maintaining perspective and long-term discipline
With significant declines in specific segments of the financial market, inflation rates we haven’t seen in decades, and geopolitical conflicts escalating, 2022 was a turbulent year for the average investor.
Investors who maintained perspective and long-term discipline by committing to a fundamentally sound investment plan were able to weather through the periods of market uncertainty and stay on the path to building wealth.
Four core principles help our clients maintain diversified, well-balanced investment portfolios and become financially secure forever.
For the new year’s first episode, we are reflecting on key themes and lessons from 2022 and what they mean for Canadian investors. In this episode, Marcelo and Keith talk about how different asset classes performed over the year, central themes in the investment world, how investors should think about 2023, positive returns on the horizon, and so much more!
Thank you for listening!
For additional insights read our 2022 Market Review: A Changing Investment Landscape.
Financial highs, lows and what’s in store for 2023
- Our reflections on 2022 from a personal perspective (1:33)
- Equity and bond market results in 2022 (4:35)
- The primary reasons behind the difference in performance between a US and a Canadian 60/40 investment portfolio (5:54)
- Growth stocks versus value stocks (8:56)
- Massive declines in the mega-cap stocks in 2022 (10:54)
- Updates on some of the innovative company stocks that peaked during the height of the pandemic (13:27)
- The Ark Innovation Fund and the problem with chasing performance (16:13)
- Profits and valuations matter (19:04)
- The unravelling of the speculator – the downfall of crypto and meme stocks (20:11)
- Average returns for our portfolios in 2022 (23:15)
- Major themes coming out of 2022 that impact Canadian investors (26:56)
- The possible upside of inflation for investors (28:30)
- Thinking about a possible recession on the horizon (30:05)
- Why Canadian investors should be wary of forecasting (33:01)
- Understanding expected return changes (35:05)
- Categories that are undervalued, fairly valued, and with stretched valuations (37:17)
- Lessons and takeaways from 2022 (39:27)
- And much more!
Thanks for Listening!
Be sure to subscribe on Apple, Google, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. And feel free to drop us a line at email@example.com or 514-695-0096 ext.112 Follow Tulett, Matthews & Associates on social media on LinkedIn, Facebook, and more! Follow The Empowered Investor on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
2022 Tax Tips – With Life Long Expert
Every year more complexity is added to the Canadian tax system, making it difficult for taxpayers to keep up to date. Understanding how to properly file your tax return and take advantage of deductions and credits can put more money back in your pocket.
Investor Beware: How to Protect Your Money from Scams and Fraud
Financial fraud is a serious issue that has unfortunately cost many investors their hard-earned savings. From Ponzi schemes to fake investment opportunities, these scams lure investors in with promises of high returns and low risk.
Building Confidence Through Annual Review Meetings
Effective client meetings are about transparency and empowering investors to move forward confidently and with a clear vision of their financial future.
Stay on top of your financial education
Subcribe and follow to get updates on important wealth management topics.
3535 St-Charles Blvd.